Pet Passports and Travel Advice

Owners are increasingly taking their pets abroad, and, especially with the uncertainty surrounding Brexit, there are many factors to consider in doing this.

A number of our vets across the three branches are qualified to fill out Pet Passports and complete all of the documentation associated with travel certification. Cats, dogs and ferrets can travel within the EU on a Pet Passport. Travelling outside of the EU requires export certification and often involves various lab tests, so it is advisable to contact us well in advance of your expected travel.

If travelling to other countries within the EU, your pet will need to be vaccinated against rabies. Depending on the outcome of Brexit negotiations, your pet may also require a blood test at least 30 days after vaccination, to check that the immune system has responded appropriately to the vaccination. If you think that travelling with your pet will be essential despite whatever happens with Brexit, we would advise getting a rabies vaccination and blood test performed at least 4 months in advance of your expected travel dates. Tapeworm treatment is also required when returning to the UK from most European countries, 24 to 120 hours before returning to UK soil, and must be certified by a vet.

There are other considerations outside of those required by the Pet Travel Scheme to take into account when travelling within Europe. These include transmission of exotic, often vector-borne diseases such as Leishmania (transmitted by sand flies), and various tick-borne and mosquito-borne diseases. These diseases can be very debilitating and even life-threatening. We are happy to advise you on ways that you can help prevent your pets from picking up such diseases.